Autoantibodies against G-protein coupled receptors (GPCR), most notably antibodies against beta-adrenergic receptors are a cause or risk factor for dilated cardiopathy and several other chronic cardiovascular diseases. These antibodies target definded activity-associated conformations of the receptors thereby altering receptor function. These conformational autoantibodies cannot be assessed in the usual manner by peptide-based immunoassays or staining of fixed tissues. Our current research interest focusses on the development validation and determination of of suitable procedures for measuring potentially pathogenic GPCR-autoantibodies and their predictive values for various dieseases
- Boivin-Jahns, V., Jahns, R. and Boege, F. (2018) Relevant effects of beta1-adrenoceptor autoantibodies in chronic heart failure. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed), 23, 2146-2156.
- Boege, F., Westenfeld, R. and Jahns, R. (2017) beta1AAb Determined by Peptide ELISA: A Signal in the Noise? J Am Coll Cardiol, 70, 807-808.
- Bornholz, B., Hanzen, B., Reinke, Y., Felix, S.B., Jahns, R., Schimke, I., Wallukat, G. and Boege, F. (2016) Detection of DCM-associated beta1-adrenergic receptor autoantibodies requires functional readouts or native human beta1-receptors as targets. Int J Cardiol, 202, 728-730.
- Bornholz, B., Hanzen, B., Reinke, Y., Felix, S.B. and Boege, F. (2016) Impact of common beta-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms on the interaction with agonistic autoantibodies in dilated cardiomyopathy. Int J Cardiol, 214, 83-85.
- Bornholz, B., Benninghaus, T., Reinke, Y., Felix, S.B., Roggenbuck, D., Jahns-Boivin, V., Jahns, R. and Boege, F. (2016) A standardised FACS assay based on native, receptor transfected cells for the clinical diagnosis and monitoring of beta1-adrenergic receptor autoantibodies in human heart disease. Clin Chem Lab Med, 54, 683-691.
- Jahns, R. and Boege, F. (2015) Questionable validity of petide-based ELISA strategies in the diagnostics of cadrdiopathogenic autoantibodies that activate G-protein-coupled receptors. Cardiology, 131, 149-150.
- Bornholz, B., Roggenbuck, D., Jahns, R. and Boege, F. (2014) Diagnostic and therapeutic aspects of beta-adrenergic receptor autoantibodies in human heart disease. Autoimmun Rev, 13, 954-962.
- Bornholz, B., Weidtkamp-Peters, S., Schmitmeier, S., Seidel, C.A., Herda, L.R., Felix, S.B., Lemoine, H., Hescheler, J., Nguemo, F., Schafer, C. et al. (2013) Impact of human autoantibodies on beta1-adrenergic receptor conformation, activity, and internalization. Cardiovasc Res, 97, 472-480.
- Herda, L.R., Felix, S.B. and Boege, F. (2012) Drug-like actions of autoantibodies against receptors of the autonomous nervous system and their impact on human heart function. Brit. J. Pharmacol, 166, 847-857.